Friday, September 21, 2018

What the pink hat movement can do for Election Day Nov 6

Dearest Friends and Co-conspirators,

I admit that sometimes, I get really stuck on "collecting wood" rather than teaching people how to "long for the sea."

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

When I had the idea for the pussyhat, it was exciting to me that the steps were so clear, how to "collect wood" and the business of "assigning tasks" – the concreteness, the clarity of it all drummed up excitement in me – I heard my calling and I knew exactly what to do.

And even though droves of us were eager to knit, eager to organize, eager to "collect wood," we all, each and every one of us, including me, longed for the sea. Didn't you see it? Even back then? The Sea of Pink.

The Sea of Pink stood for so much that words can't begin to capture it. Unity. Feminine Power. Peace. Strength in softness and power in playfulness. The lasting power of the handmade.

And with Midterm Election Day just 46 days away, I want to achieve the same level of unity, beauty, and awe.  Can the Sea of Pink bring on the Blue Wave? Do you long for the sea, as I do?

In the coming weeks, you'll be hearing from me about once a week with "goodies" that I hope will make the journey toward the Blue Wave in Congress more fun.  You can also check out the new page on my website if you want to get to the good stuff ASAP!

In the meantime, I'd like to brainstorm with you all about the ritual of voting.  When it's time for your birthday, there is the widespread tradition of getting a cake, lighting candles on it, and blowing the candles out.  It's a beautiful tradition. Can we make the tradition of voting more beautiful? More fun? What do you do in your family when it's someone's first time to vote?  Do you light a candle as you read through your candidates' bios and fill out your vote by mail form? Do you have a tradition of treating yourself to a latte after you vote day-of at your polling place?

When we encourage our friends and neighbors to vote in the midterms – are we reminding them to vote, or are we also making sure they feel the glow of American pride and altruism, the fun of a personal ritual, the strengthening of community?

Are we simply letting them know where to register to vote, i.e., how to collect wood, or… are we inspiring them toward a better future, instilling a longing for the sea?

I'd love to know your voting ritual! You can email me back here, or comment on the blog here. You can also join the conversation on my social media – Instagram @kristasuh, Facebook @mskristasuh. When you share your voting ritual (even if you are creating the ritual for the first time!) you are inspiring others to long for the sea, and heck, those who long for the sea will definitely vote.

Thanks! Looking forward to sharing more next week!

XOXO

 .            .   
Copyright © 2018 Krista Suh, All rights reserved.
You are on this list because I love you and I think you love me too. You may have signed up on kristasuh.com, at one of my events, or via the Pussyhat Project. You are welcome to opt out, I'll miss you!

Our mailing address is:
Krista Suh
601 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

 






This email was sent to katy63.kelso@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Krista Suh · 601 N Larchmont Blvd · Los Angeles, CA 90004 · USA

No comments: