Thursday, October 11, 2018

Let's make voting as American as apple pie (check out the recipe!)

When I was a kid I wanted to be cool, and in that era, it meant wearing very baggy hoodies, eschewing skirts, and scorning pink. I now realize that "cool" in a 1990s elementary school meant masculine.

My mom was not a cook nor a crafter; when I was in an 8th-grade play involving Greek muses she was at a total loss when she had to braid my hair.

If you're like my mom, you are no less of a woman just because you are not good at cooking, crafting, and braiding hair.

But conversely, you are no less "cool" if you happen to be amazing at cooking, crafting, and braiding hair, and you enjoy it.

That was a lesson that took me a much longer time to learn. I grappled with my femininity before I learned to accept it and allow it to take me places.

I now see how the feminine arts are looked down on, and it is my calling in life to validate them once more, not because they are "better" than masculine arts, but because they have been oppressed for so long and told that they are lesser.

Which brings me to…PIE.

Nothing brings people together like pie, and it is my hope that you can saucily add a message to your pie when you bring it over to your neighbors. VOTE NOV 6TH!

Check out my step-by-step recipe here

If you like baking, use your favorite family heirloom dough and filling recipe . . . 

If you're a beginner at baking like I am, just have fun with store-bought crust and canned filling.  

(My shero Nora Ephron said that store-bought pie crust is just as good as homemade – is that scandalous?!)

Pick 5 neighbors (or friends or colleagues) you'd like to reach out to about VOTING on November 6th!  You have 26 days to reach FIVE people – that's about 1 person every 5 days. Can you do it?!

Sample Script

Hi __<name>___ I am your neighbor ______<your name>___ .  I made this <gift>___ for you, I hope you like it.  It was very <emotion> while making it for you.  Voting on November 6th is very important to people like us.  I truly believe women's rights can be taken away if we don't show up to vote on November 6th.  If you have any questions about making a voting plan, I can help you make one. Do you have a plan to vote? Are you registered? Are you voting by mail? In person? Do you know when and how you'll get to the polls?

If you love this sentiment but don't have the time to bake - download the Vote with Me app and aim to text 5 friends! 

Thank you, sisters and co-conspirators!  Good luck!

If you have any treasured apple recipes you'd like to share, please do so in the blog comments!

We would love to highlight your creativity!

XOXO


 

P.S.  I have an extra special surprise for you in the works – it's super exciting and I dare say cutting-edge, easy, beautiful, and FUN! OMG, I wish I could show you RIGHT NOW!

 .            .   
Copyright © 2018 Krista Suh, All rights reserved.
You are on this list because I love you and I think you love me too. You may have signed up on kristasuh.com, at one of my events, or via the Pussyhat Project. You are welcome to opt out, I'll miss you!

Our mailing address is:
Krista Suh
601 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

 






This email was sent to katy63.kelso@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Krista Suh · 601 N Larchmont Blvd · Los Angeles, CA 90004 · USA

No comments: