Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A new Pussyhat Print to Get Out the Vote inspired by Eve!

Why do men hate women? Why are conservatives so eager to take away our reproductive rights, our right to choose, our rights to our own bodies and lives?

I'm no theologian, but I can't help but wonder if it has to do with Eve. As a writer and screenwriter, I have experienced the power of story firsthand. The stories we tell about ourselves create our world.

And unfortunately, the genesis story of our entire Western world can be reduced down to "A woman wanted something. And then she ruined it for the rest of us." (And yes, I know there are a TON of interpretations of this story – of Eve and the apple and the snake, and I don't claim to have the one and only correct interpretation – it literally goes against the ethos that I wrote a whole book about - DIY Rules for a WTF World, especially Chapter 5!)

When women want something, no matter how reasonable, it creates waves of fear. If we want to have choices, we're deemed entitled. If we want to have agency over our own bodies, we're deemed selfish. A woman's desire is dangerous, so we are taught.

Is that why some of our sisters haven't shown up to vote in the recent past? Were we subconsciously shamed into believing we didn't deserve a say, and that our votes don't count?

Let's reclaim this. We've reclaimed the word pussy by making pussyhats. Let's reclaim our desires, our right to be here, by voting. And while we're at it, let's encourage our friends to vote, and let's dare to have fun while doing it.

Voting on Nov 6th is about so much more than civic duty – it is about reclaiming our voices as women – women with needs, women with desires, women with power.

I've been finding my own voice more and more as an artist, and was inspired by the figure of Eve. I've created artwork that can be shared and used by all of us in an effort to get women out to vote this November 6th. Women need to vote in this election. We are our country's last hope.

I'll be releasing more in the coming weeks, but this is the first gift:

  • A new Eve-inspired printed fleece to sew pussyhats with – I will be personally making about 80 of them to pass out before the November 6th election. 1 yard makes about 8 pussyhats. By no means do you have to use this fleece, you can knit or crochet or sew with fabric already in your stash. Especially as the weather gets colder, wearing your pussyhat is a wonderful signal to everyone around you to remember to vote! And to remind us all why this election is particularly important to women.
  • Free clip art to share on social media or use on any local neighborhood flyers you put together.
  • Clothing with this limited edition print on it – not for the faint of heart – these all-over print clothing pieces will definitely be noticed and start conversations. 100% of profits go toward this grassroots voting campaign and Rock the Vote a nonpartisan nonprofit "dedicated to building the political power of young people."

Tomorrow I will be sharing some fun patterns and ideas regarding the symbol of the apple, as well as sweetly mischievous ways to get your neighbors on board.

And as always, my hope is that by releasing my ideas they can help percolate your own – ways to get others involved that use your special superpower. If you want to share your ideas – the blog comments section is a wonderful way to do so.

XOXO


 

P.S. Tonight if you're in L.A. come see me at the Women in Film panel in West Hollywood! I'll be speaking alongside amazing powerhouse women from One Vote at a Time, Planned Parenthood and more.
 .            .   
Copyright © 2018 Krista Suh, All rights reserved.
You are on this list because I love you and I think you love me too. You may have signed up on kristasuh.com, at one of my events, or via the Pussyhat Project. You are welcome to opt out, I'll miss you!

Our mailing address is:
Krista Suh
601 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

 






This email was sent to katy63.kelso@blogger.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Krista Suh · 601 N Larchmont Blvd · Los Angeles, CA 90004 · USA

No comments: